A bit more than a month ago my Disney Cultural Representative Program in Orlando would have started and since I wrote a whole blog post to announce it, I wanted to give you a brief update about it.

As we all know, the US borders are still closed because of the Coronavirus, so I obviously couldn’t fly to Orlando. Therefore, the start day of my job first got postponed to the end of July, but as July came closer it quickly became clear to me that this wouldn’t work out, either. However, the Disney employees with whom I texted remained positive about the situation and already started planning the reopening of the parks.

And yes, Disney World actually opened again on the 11th and 15th of July!

A couple of days ago though, Disney sadly announced that they’re canceling my program. So, I basically lost my job before I even got started. Of course, that didn’t come as a shock, yet it still sucks as I was looking forward to my time in Orlando for quite a while now. Additionally, If I decide to reapply after the crisis is over, I need to go through the whole application process again – which of course, takes time and isn’t exactly inexpensive as it includes traveling to another german city for an in-person interview.

In the end, though, I’m still glad that I’ve lost my job now instead of after just a few weeks in Orlando, which would’ve been even more expensive and disappointing. Additionally, all of the employees – as well as the guests – currently have to wear face masks at the parks, which must be extremely uncomfortable when working an 8-hour shift – especially because of the high temperatures in Florida. Therefore, it wouldn’t have been the experience I’d anticipated when I applied to the program.

So what’s now?

My initial plan B – Work & Travel in Australia – won’t work out either as Australia remains closed for tourists for probably at least another year. So, I’ve decided to seek out a job outside Germany but inside Europe. Of course, none of us knows what’s going to happen during the next few months and if there’s going to be another travel ban within the European countries, but if that’s going to be the case, I’ll get home much quicker than if I’d stayed in another continent.

In any case, we all need to accept the situation as it is, keep staying flexible during the upcoming months, rearrange our plans if needed and most important – make the best out of it.

Write A Comment